HomeForumJoin UsTrail Info Events CalendarSnow CamsSponsorsAboutContactFacebook

Thread: 3/19/17 Update Trails are closed

Administrator

3/19/17 Update Trails are closed

This will be my last post as a representative of NEP Sno Trails Inc. and forum admin. :

From the clubs Facebook page

ATTENTION : Effective 11 pm on Sunday 3/19/17 the weather has effectively forced us to stop any further snowmobile riding for the season. It is a difficult decision but it is in the best interest of our landowners as the thawed ground is not cooperating.
    We gained an awesome weekend and want to thank everyone that was able to enjoy the 2016/2017 season. We hope we were able to provide the best trail conditions and riding opportunities when mother nature decided to cooperate.
    There are many off season tasks to complete and we have been asked by so many to let them help out in the off season. We heard from our members and will coordinate some work dates and will post the information in the next month or so where we need help.
    Thank you for your membership and support,
    NEP SNO TRAILS President.

Every great ride comes to an end, take care all.

Renegade

Quote Originally Posted by renegade View Post
    This will be my last post as a representative of NEP Sno Trails Inc. and forum admin. :

From the clubs Facebook page

ATTENTION : Effective 11 pm on Sunday 3/19/17 the weather has effectively forced us to stop any further snowmobile riding for the season. It is a difficult decision but it is in the best interest of our landowners as the thawed ground is not cooperating.
    We gained an awesome weekend and want to thank everyone that was able to enjoy the 2016/2017 season. We hope we were able to provide the best trail conditions and riding opportunities when mother nature decided to cooperate.
    There are many off season tasks to complete and we have been asked by so many to let them help out in the off season. We heard from our members and will coordinate some work dates and will post the information in the next month or so where we need help.
    Thank you for your membership and support,
    NEP SNO TRAILS President.

Every great ride comes to an end, take care all.

Renegade

Jim- thanks for the updates over the years. and also for your term as president. Hopefully someone takes over web updates since alot of us don't do Facebook.
    I am surprised all trails are closed. Rode another 60+ miles on Sunday and trails were excellent with lots of snowcover. Especially with a few cold days coming. That water hole near Candlelight was a bear, looks like a new bridge in in order that would allow the groomer to cross and turn around in the field instead of right before bridge. but I do questions from the landowner when I helped build that bridge 10 years ago.

Thanks renegade for all your hard work and your updates

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocmts View Post
    Jim- thanks for the updates over the years. and also for your term as president. Hopefully someone takes over web updates since alot of us don't do Facebook.
    I am surprised all trails are closed. Rode another 60+ miles on Sunday and trails were excellent with lots of snowcover. Especially with a few cold days coming. That water hole near Candlelight was a bear, looks like a new bridge in in order that would allow the groomer to cross and turn around in the field instead of right before bridge. but I do questions from the landowner when I helped build that bridge 10 years ago.
    Thanks Mike. That waterhole was intentionally dug out by an unknown individual, more then likely to keep ATV's out not realizing the trails might re-open. The groomer can cross the bridge and turn around in the field. I believe when we built that bridge around 10 years ago is when you and I first met. To use that picture as an example of ongoing sled damage was deceiving at the least.

As far as the decision to close goes, it was a stupid one and the reason for my resignation as a board member. I advised against it, opting for a partial closure, but the misguided went forward with the full closure. The owner of the golf course had a rightful concern, but even with those gates closed there could have been plenty of riding. The rail beds have plenty of cover as well as other trails. I rode over 100 miles yesterday (Monday) after the trails were "closed". Is there some bare ground here and there? yes, but no where near what we have seen in the past under "spring riding conditions" and I did not find one location where any property damage from snowmobiles was occurring. Just as we have had partial openings and closings in the past, this would have been no different, there is still plenty of snow out there. NEP Sno Trails received over 30" of snow, more then anywhere else in the state. yet is the only trail system that is closed.

The new leadership is green and made a snap decision based on a single landowners concern without giving much thought to the paying members, supporting businesses, sponsors and other landowners. There is a landowner shutting his property off for next year because of this boneheaded decision. I had two business owners vent their frustration to me Sunday night as well. To close down over 200 miles of trails for 100 yards of partially bare ground was ridiculous. Even at the golf course crossing the bare noll could have been sectioned off as there was plenty of cover off to the one side, I have a picture I took at 1pm yesterday that shows this, and the gates were still open. The owner has every right to close the trail on his property and I respect that, the point is the club could have worked around it. Not one gate has been closed and the club has no intent on closing them, so how is that serving our landowners? if you close, you close. You don't say the trails are closed, then leave gates wide open thinking "people are going to ride anyway" as it was put. I'm done, I'll pay my 50 bucks a year just like the other 99% of the club.

Thanks Mike. That waterhole was intentionally dug out by an unknown individual, more then likely to keep ATV's out not realizing the trails might re-open. The groomer can cross the bridge and turn around in the field. I believe when we built that bridge around 10 years ago is when you and I first met. To use that picture as an example of ongoing sled damage was deceiving at the least.

As far as the decision to close goes, it was a stupid one and the reason for my resignation as a board member. I advised against it, opting for a partial closure, but the misguided went forward with the full closure. The owner of the golf course had a rightful concern, but even with those gates closed there could have been plenty of riding. The rail beds have plenty of cover as well as other trails. I rode over 100 miles yesterday (Monday) after the trails were "closed". Is there some bare ground here and there? yes, but no where near what we have seen in the past under "spring riding conditions" and I did not find one location where any property damage from snowmobiles was occurring. Just as we have had partial openings and closings in the past, this would have been no different, there is still plenty of snow out there. NEP Sno Trails received over 30" of snow, more then anywhere else in the state. yet is the only trail system that is closed.

The new leadership is green and made a snap decision based on a single landowners concern without giving much thought to the paying members, supporting businesses, sponsors and other landowners. There is a landowner shutting his property off for next year because of this boneheaded decision. I had two business owners vent their frustration to me Sunday night as well. To close down over 200 miles of trails for 100 yards of partially bare ground was ridiculous. Even at the golf course crossing the bare noll could have been sectioned off as there was plenty of cover off to the one side, I have a picture I took at 1pm yesterday that shows this, and the gates were still open. The owner has every right to close the trail on his property and I respect that, the point is the club could have worked around it. Not one gate has been closed and the club has no intent on closing them, so how is that serving our landowners? if you close, you close. You don't say the trails are closed, then leave gates wide open thinking "people are going to ride anyway" as it was put. I'm done, I'll pay my 50 bucks a year just like the other 99% of the club.

Agree there was another week of good riding. F trail although not groomed as Facebook reported was a blast especially for my sons who admittedly are powder hounds. My days of digging out sleds in 5-6 foot drifts just to see how long you can ride the top are over!! Business owners are the ones that suffer the most. We rode over 400 miles from Thursday to Sunday last week and the conditions got better and better. That's four sleds and a 3/4 ton truck that gas up either at Arlos or FC every time. Two adults, two teenage sons and a little guy who need to eat, usually lunch and dinner on the trail. The $$ spent by this family adds up quickly. Right or wrong, we support only businesses that support the club and always will.

well I also agree this was a early close and maybe more snow on trails NOW< than there was all "IN" season in Dec and Jan and Feb.
    I can fully understand the land owners side as well
    but I wish there would have ben just SOME sections closed rather than the whole system

its honestly a HARD call I guess due to so many things, land owners and damages and worry's about what IF"S

but due to such poor seasons any more, shutting down when there IS snow, seems wrong to me

I respect the rules and follow them
    I HAD plans to ride monday, but unloaded trailer now, so, calling it a season here, minus some riding behind my house I guess??

Thanks for all your time and help Renegade
    hope to see you some day on the trails next season
    I hope someone else steps up and keeps current info on this site,as I don;t do face book
    and its a rather slow site here on posts as is!

it is def disappointing when I look at the trails around pleasant Mt area and we still have over 24" or more on the ground and the trails are closed. Frustrating to say the least and wed-fri are going to be cold